In a setting like Crosstime, widespread across time and space, a detailed list of specific weapons and armor effects is counterproductive—and also against the “rules-light” nature of Fate. Most weapons can be easily covered by one of the following broad categories, and a GM should think long and hard before introducing a weapon whose mechanical effects are [different].
On a successful hit, a weapon inflicts one shift of damage at the stress box equal to the difference between the attacker’s roll and the defender’s roll. If it has a Damage rating above 0, it deals additional shifts of damage at the boxes below. Example: Abbott shoots Barbossa with a Ballistic Handgun, which has a Damage rating of +1 and an Accuracy rating of +0. Abbott rolls a Superb (+5) success, while Barbossa’s Athletics is Fair (+2), giving Abbott a base success of 3 shifts. With no Accuracy bonus, the first box of stress hits Barbossa’s third box, giving him 1 2 X 4—and the handgun’s Damage bonus of +1 also knocks off the second box, giving him 1 X X 4.
Damage bonuses roll down if possible, so if Barbossa’s second box was already ticked off, he would end up with X X X 4—but if everything below his third box was already ticked off, that box of damage would roll up to the fourth stress box.
- Damage (Dam): number of additional shifts of stress the weapon inflicts
- Accuracy (Acc): bonus to weapon roll
- Range (Rng): effective range in zones between the attacker and defender. If the defender is outside the range (too close or too far), the attacker takes a -1 penalty for each zone outside the effective range.
- Progress Level (PL): the Progress Levels where this weapon can be found
- Aspects (Asp): Aspects able to be tagged
- Cost (Cst): Base Resources check difficulty in home PL(s). Cost is +1 per PL out of range.
- Ballistic Handgun: Dam: +1 Acc: +0 Rng: 0-2 PL: 4-6 Asp: Out of ammo Cst: +2
- Ballistic Rifle, Sniper: Dam: +1 Acc: +1 Rng: 2-4 PL: 4-6 Asp: Out of ammo Cst: +2
- Ballistic Rifle, Automatic: Dam: +1 Acc: +0 Rng: 1-3 PL: 4-6 Asp: Large magazine, automatic fire Cst: +3
- Ballistic Heavy Weapon: Dam: +2 Acc: -1 Rng: 3-4 PL: 4-6 Asp: Slow reload, explosive Cst: +3
- Bow: Dam: +0 Acc: +0 Rng: 2-4 PL: 0-3 Asp: Out of ammo Cst: +1
- Early Firearm, Handgun: Dam: +1 Acc: -1 Rng: 0-2 PL: 3 Asp: Slow reload Cst: +2
- Early Firearm, Rifle Dam: +1 Acc: -1 Rng: 2-4 PL: 3 Asp: Slow reload Cst: +2
- Energy Handgun Dam: +1 Acc: +1 Rng: 0-3 PL: 7-9 Asp: Recoilless Cst: +3
- Energy Rifle Dam: +2 Acc: +2 Rng: 2-5 PL: 7-9 Asp: Recoilless Cst: +4
- Energy Heavy Weapon Dam: +3 Acc: +2 Rng: 3-5 PL: 7-9 Asp: Recoilless Cst: +4
- Axe Dam: +1 Acc: -1 Rng: 0 PL: 0-4 Asp: Cst: +1
- Club Dam: Asp: Cst: +0
- Knife: Dam: Asp: Thrown Cst: +1
- Tech Melee: Dam: Asp: High-Tech Cst: +3
- Polearm Dam: +1 Acc: -1 Rng: 1 PL: 1-4 Asp: Two-handed Cst: +1
- Sword: Dam: +1 Acc: +0 Rng: 0 PL: 1-4 Asp: Cst: +1
- Spear, Throwing Dam: +1 Acc: -1 Rng: 1-2 PL: 0-4 Asp: Two-handed, Thrown Cst: +1
- Unarmed: Dam: Asp: Non-lethal Cst: n/a